by Dr. Mark Pitstick
People encounter tragedies—the Boston bombing, the Cleveland kidnappings, school shootings, 9/11, and in their personal lives—and wonder: Is there any meaning to all this? Is Creator—if there really is one—asleep at the wheel? And, if supposedly there are silver linings to every cloud, what are the blessings to tragedies?
My answers are based on a vast and varied amount of evidence that is clinical, scientific, religious/spiritual, and empirical in nature. I was motivated to search for evidence-based answers forty years ago after working in hospitals with many dying patients, especially children. My experience and training includes a pre-med degree, theology school, masters in clinical psychology, and private practice as a holistic chiropractic physician.
The 5 Things You Must Know:
1. You are an infinite being of consciousness/spirit now. Your real self is indestructible because 99.999% of who you are is energy that quantum physicists say cannot be detected with the five senses. As such, no one really dies, you just change form, and you will see your departed loved ones again. In fact, you may be able to detect them now as have 33% of Americans, 66% of widows, and 75% of bereaved parents.
2. Just as people enjoy reading different books and watching different movies, souls enjoy having a variety of experiences in different times and places. These are like vacations or virtual reality games for the purpose of service, adventure, growth and enjoyment. From a limited earthly perspective, people get injured and die; from a broader view, living and dying are totally safe.
3. Adversity provides exquisite opportunities for growth and service to others. Suffering can strengthen and motivate you to find sensible answers to life’s existential questions. As much clinical evidence and some scientific studies show, dying is a ticket back Home, an exit to the next phase of forever, a return to the Light. Seen through your physical eyes, life seems to be chaotic and unfair; from a universal perspective, there is a rhyme and a reason for all events, even tragedies
4. As near-death experiencers report, you are one with the One and part of Source right now; you are not separate from the Ground of All Being. Creator is only asleep at the wheel to the extent that you and I are. If God controlled every event, we would be mere puppets or robots. Your earth-experience is a mere nanosecond amidst eternity; suffering for a relatively short time is easily worth the benefits.
5. You can prepare for tragedies and challenges in life by balancing and upgrading your energy with centering practices (meditation, time in nature, prayer, crocheting—whatever helps quiet your mind and access your inner wisdom), spiritual study and worship, optimal self-care, and service to others. From this holistic foundation, you can best live with peace, joy, purpose, and clarity—no matter what is going on around you. You can be a light in the world and help others appreciate all the richness of life.
Dr. Mark Pitstick, clinical psychologist and holistic chiropractic physician, has over 40 years experience helping tens of thousands of patients in hospitals, pastoral counseling settings, mental health centers, and private practice. Dr. Bernie Siegel wrote the foreword and Drs. Wayne Dyer, Raymond Moody and others contributed to his book Soul Proof: Compelling Evidence You Are an Infinite Spiritual/Energetic Being. Dr. Pitstick is a former radio show host, frequent radio/TV guest, producer of the Soul Proof documentary film, contributor to magazines, and speaker on life, death and afterlife topics. www.soulproof.com